Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Test driving cars around the west coast...

First off, let me explain why we needed to get a rental car this week... Last week I took our Honda Civic Hybrid we just bought 5 months ago to get a checkup before we drove 2,000 miles. That and we had a check engine light come on not too long ago. When I picked up the car they told me the reason for the check engine light was that our battery needed to be replaced. I have been used to a typical $75-100 price for a battery so I said "ok, how much let me just buy that right now." They said it was a $3,000 battery. HOLY CRAP! We called Honda and asked if there was any kind of warranty or something they could do for us and nothing. On top of the $3000 we would need to pay a minimum of $1500 for labor cost to install it.Dustin and I were stressing all day trying to figure out what to do. The local Honda dealership was willing to trade it in for $6,800 (what we had left to pay on our loan) and we wouldn't have to pay for a $4,500 battery replacement, and we would lease a new car from them. I thought, there has to be a better way. So I put the car on ksl.com that night at midnight and the next morning we sold it for $8,200. At that point Dustin didn't know we were driving to Oregon that weekend so I kept insisting we needed a rental car for a week to figure things out before we got another car. Dustin wanted to look at leasing a Hyundai Elantra so we went to the dealership and after 3.5 long irritating hours we left and I never wanted to go back or lease from them. Talk about pushy salesmen. I felt like I was in jail and they wouldn't let us go until we leased a car. Ridiculous. So we got a rental the next day and we will figure out cars whenever we get back to Utah.

So, so far we have had to go through 3 different rental cars over our trip to Oregon. The first one, a grey Chevy Cobalt, had a weird noise coming from inside and we didn't want to chance anything. So we traded that one in for a red 2009 Nissan Sentra a few minutes before Hertz closed. NO cruise control and it locked you out while the car was on. Luckily one of us was inside to unlock it... While we were having our snow problems out here in Oregon, the tire got completely flat and we found a small leak in one of the tires. Great. So we called Hertz here in Eugene and they traded us a red 2010 Toyota Corolla with cruise control and it won't lock you out.. Lets hope we don't have any problems with this one. Despite the inconvenience, Hertz has been very helpful and friendly during all of this and didn't charge us extra for anything and we have unlimited miles luckily.

No comments: