Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Perfectly Executed Plan...

Well, we just switched drivers in Winnemucca so with all this time I thought it appropriate for me to post.

First, I need to thank my amazing wife for planing this trip. I Love You Lyss!

If you know Alyssa then you know that she loves to plan everything down to the smallest details. She had every day and almost every hour of our trip planned out. (and if the unforeseen incidents didn't happen it would have all been executed perfectly, I assure you... Ha) If you know me then you know that I'm almost the complete opposite. I'm a little more laid-back. She's rubbed off on me a bit, but I still like to just go with it.

Like Lyss described, before we even left things started to fall apart... starting with the Honda. Haha. She tried so hard to convince me that we needed a rental car and still keep her surprise, but I had to ruin that.... I'm sorry Lyss. It was still fun hiding under the blanket in the back seat while watching a movie so I didn't know which way we were going...
Oregon bound, everything went great as we followed her schedule. Ashland was really cool and the surrounding area was really pretty. Being from the Midwest I found myself liking the areas that had some farmland with wide-open fields, but Oregon farmlands are mixed with mountains of trees and lots of rivers and lakes. It was really cool.
Very happy, we headed to the coast. After living in the Islands for 2 years the Ocean has become something that brings back special memories and something that I can never get enough of... So my favorite part of the trip was when we went Bandon. I love little coastal towns and finding the favorite seafood shack. I've always thought it would be cool to live somewhere like that, but I don't think my skills are very useful there.... haha. I guess I could always become a Fisherman.
Everything was still going as planned as we drove up the coast to Florence. She had planned to then head inland to Bend. I wasn't ready to leave yet and so she changed her plan and we headed north to Newport. On the way we ate in Yachats at Luna's Fish House. We had the best fish and chips we have ever had.... Sooo good. We got to Newport around four. We went to the little shops and got some souvenirs before heading for Bend.

Look at Lyss' Valentines post if you haven't so you'll know the story of Willamette Valley. I won't go into detail, but I will point out that if we would have stuck to Lyss' plan and left the coast at Florence then we would have been in front of the storm and made it safely to Bend. ...and made it home on time. Again... I'm sorry Lyss.
Yet, another surprise… but a good one. It was a really fun detour to be able to stay with Papa, Lois and Mama Teri. Thank you all!
So to sum it up, I really liked Oregon. It was really pretty and the people were really nice. The weather was nice when it wasn't raining… haha. I know. Oregon rains all the time, but I'm hoping it was just especially bad because of the storm. The one thing that was kind of weird and definitely would take getting used to is the legally not being able to fill up my car...
So even with the surprises that we both had I feel that this weekend was perfect. I know there was a lot of thought and planning that went into this weekend and I'm grateful to have such an awesome wife. She was such a good sport during the unexpected changes. I know it wasn't easy... Everything went perfectly to me and if that was Lyss' plan, then she definitely accomplished it. Thank you for the fun birthday surprise getaway and looong weekend... I love you Lyss!!

So Lyss is telling me that I need to get off the computer so she won't be so bored... ha.

No comments: