Friday, March 27, 2009

Green things are growing in our cupboards....


So a couple days ago, I suggested to Dustin that we should try out the new Cafe Fresh at Good Earth on State St in Orem. Good Earth is this amazingly healthy grocery store and Cafe Fresh is attached to it. I love shopping there when I can.
He liked the idea and so we headed over after school. I highly recommend going there if you enjoy really healthy food. It is not cheap but I think healthy food is worth it. Dustin got this pesto chicken wrap with sprouts and some other goodies in it. I looked at the big ol' sprouts in it and kind of cringed at first since I never really liked them growing up. Dustin said I should try it and so I did, I and LOVED it! I liked it mostly because of the sprouts actually haha. They are different than the small stringy sprouts that I usually get caught in my teeth or something, which is why I didn't like them before.
Dustin started talking to me about how his mom Lannis used to grow them all the time when he was growing up and so I wanted to do the same. But I was not sure what kind of sprouts they were. I knew nothing about sprouting. I called my mom the next day while at the grovery store and she said they were mung beans, and that she used to grow them as well.
Dustin and I both grew up eating a lot of healthy food because of our parents. Dustin's mom of course cooked some more extreme healthy foods that I have never heard of before but I am learning and trying new things. Now there are little green things growing in our cupboards haha!
I hope to be a really healthy mom for my family and know how to cook not only amazing recipes but to do it in a healthy, nutricious way. I thank our moms and all the wonderful women in our families that give such wonderful tips. :)

2 comments:

Ligia said...

Oooh, I want to learn more about sprouts. Alex's mom is the same way about eating healthy. I'm learning a lot from this family. I guess since Dustin's mom and Alex's mom were sisters, this health obsession makes sense. But I suppose it's a good one to have.

Mama Teri said...

It makes sense then that at the grocery store, you would hold broccoli like a bouquet of flowers and eat it like it was the best thing on earth. Each time I would get it out to cook, there would be these teensy little nibbles all around, like a little mouse had gotten into it. Nope, just my Lyss.