Friday, February 27, 2009

"Where's my caboose?!"


Today I started my first day of volunteer work at Wasatch Elementary right next door. In my Elementary Education class we have to spend 20 hours at an elementary school for a class project. I spent 4 1/2 hours today in a 2nd grade classroom. It was a lot of fun, and very entertaining at times...
To explain the title, when I first walked into this classroom I overheard the teacher say "Where's my caboose?" Which I guess is the person that follows the end of the line when they all leave as a class and makes sure the doors are closed behind everyone. They all have their own little assignments and roles. I thought it was cute.
I made a couple little friends already. Sariah who is the class drama queen. Eliza the one who seemed in charge along with the teacher haha. And Seth who was very polite and a sweetheart. While in their art class I helped him try to draw a person leaning on a tree. They are smarter than you think. He could have taught me a thing or two haha.
They followed me around and asked me funny questions like 'How come your not sitting in a big kid seat?'(I was sitting in one of their tiny seats all day ha) or 'Are you going to stay here forever?'
There were many different personalities and behaviors. Some were friendly some were rude, some loud and some that didn't speak a word. But altogether this grade seems like a perfect teaching grade. They are young and innocent enough that they still have fun, enjoy class and not old enough to where they talk back to you or start doing as they want.
In two weeks I will be observing a 5th grade class for a while. I really wish I could pick certain grades to watch but the schools are a little picky sometimes, especially with Kindergarten it seems. And that of course is a grade I want to see.

1 comment:

Kristin Kimble Purles said...

That sounds like so much fun. I bet you will miss it when you're done. Taylor and I volunteered at an elementary school for quite awhile when we were in college too. It's a great place to let go of your worries and let the kids lift your spirits. Enjoy it while your there!